(All text references from
Jesus of Nazareth, Part One
by Emeritus Pope Benedict XVI)
(To download, right click on the link and go to Save As...)
|The Baptism of Jesus||• Promise of a "Prophet"
• Meaning of "prophet"
• Religious and political situation when John the Baptist appeared
• Jesus' baptism and meanings
|The Temptations of Jesus||• Temptations of Jesus - devil appeared as a theologian
• Why did Jesus reject devil's offers during the temptations only to go on to do exactly the same things the devil requested?
• Why didn't God make His presence more evident to us?
• False expectations about Jesus
|Kingdom of God
Sermon on the Mount
|• Understanding of the Kingdom of God as "imminent" is wrong
• What does "fullest of time" mean?
• Story of Pharisee and tax collector praying
• Jesus sits down on the cathedra of the mount
• Once expressed as frightening to Moses, God's power was revealed in mildness to Elijah to signify that it would take on the form of the Cross, of the suffering God
|Sermon on the Mount||• Paradoxes of Beatitudes as experienced by St. Paul
• Solomon as pre-figuration of Christ who brings peace
• The descent of love purifies our hearts. We ascend to God by following Jesus' descending path
• Rabbi can't accept the Jesus-central New Israel replacing the geneaology, law-based "eternal Israel", which is why the Jews reject Christianity
• Two kinds of law in Covenant Code: apodictic (principles) and casuistic (rules)
|The Lord's Prayer||Download|
|"Hallowed Be Thy Name"||Download|
|The Message of the Parables||Download|
|The Principal Images of John's Gospel||• The authorship, the historical credibility, and the spirituality of the Gospel of John (both historical and meditational); one Johannine image - water.
|The Principal Images of John's Gospel (cont'd)||• Continued coverage of Johannine images: vine and wine
|The Principal Images of John's Gospel (cont'd)||• Continued coverage of Johannine images: the shepherd