(All text references from
Jesus of Nazareth, Part Two
by Emeritus Pope Benedict XVI)
(To download, right click on the link and go to Save As...)
|1||Jesus' entrance into Jerusalem||• Enter from Mt. Olive
• Claim of kingship based on OT and Hebrew traditions
• "Hosanna" - hope that the hour of Messiah had arrived
• Crowd greeting Jesus not the crowd that demanded his crucifixion
• Psalm Sunday - meaning
|2||Jesus' eschatological discourse||• "O Jerusalem, O Jerusalem"
• OT origins of "under God's wing"
• Abandonment of Temple
|3||Death and resurrection of Jesus means the end of the Temple era||• To be continued in the new era of the Church
• Church and the conversion of Jews
|4||Man ascent to God as seen by Greek philosophy and Christianity||Download|
|5||Jesus' new commandment||• "For I have given you an example, that you also should do as I have done to you" - Does this suggest a purely moral conception of Christianity?
|6||Day of atonement and Jesus' priesthood||• Day of atonement: man must be reconciled to God
• Jesus' priestly prayer follows the same pattern because he is the reconciliation
• Book of Hebrews discussion of Jesus' priesthood
|7||Jesus' High-Priestly Prayer||• Eternal life isn't "charged up battery"; it's relational
• Apostles were consecrated to be holy and to share his priesthood and sacrifice
• The apostolic quality of "being sent"
• It's the founding of the Church
*Due to early technical difficulties, audio clips from Sessions 1 and 2 are either not available or low quality. We apologize for the inconvenience.